Matter of OpinionMiss Elizabeth Sutton introduced me to "Letters to the Editor" at the tender age of 11. From there it was all down hill.
Many of the following have been published in the MEDANZ newsletter or are based on my contributions to the MED List. The Souher Zaki piece was both.
On the whole these are opinion pieces - but in most cases based on experience or research. Since writing I may have changed my mind. It does happen - very occasionally.
This section also includes "book reviews" on books related in some way to "belly dance". Some are very short; some include interesting information gleaned from the books. Except where otherwise noted, all are my opinions. You are welcome to disagree.
I hope this collection will make you think - or laugh - or both.
From 2011 I am also republishing the short articles from my newsletter:
- 2017 articles (Dancing Tips, YouTube Channel)
- 2016 articles (Dancing Tips, 8 Days with Dr Mo. Background Notes - Naming (raqs sharqi), Early Changes in Egyptian Dance, Reda, Three Myths that won't die)
- 2015 articles (Transitions, MEDANZ Festival, Styles, Home Practice, Props, Dr Mo)
- 2014 articles (Hip Drop Practice, World Fairs, Auckland Festival, Expressing Music, Glossary, Origin Myth (USA), being Graceful, Shimmies)
- 2013 articles (Fifi, Nadia Gamal, Ghawazee, Shimmies with layering, Improvisation, Fusion, MEDANZ, Khaleegy, Online Fora, Dance Practice)
- 2012 articles (Being in the Show, When is it "Belly dance"?, Arabic script (sin, shin, sad), Muwashwash, Practicing)
- 2011 articles (Beledi, Bedleh, History, Om Khalthoum, Orientale, Reda Troupe, Shimmy, Stretching, Arabic script beh & dal)
If you want to get the newsletter as it is published (along with all the news) subscribe to the newsletter online.
These are the most recent archived newsletters:
|Return to www.bellyraqs.co.nz
for those with a general interest in the dance
|Site Index||Return to www.raqs.co.nz
includes articles for the dedicated convert
© Copyright 2008-2017
Updated by JEWEL