Introduction to Belly Dance FAQs
Over the eight weeks you be lead through exercises to begin to unlock your body so you can enjoy the sensuous movement of "belly dance". Not only will you learn the dance vocabulary but you will also start to explore its history and culture.
This course is open to anyone over 13 - regardless of size, fitness or experience. However please advise of any special health conditions such as back or neck problems, pregnancy, etc.
Experience has also shown that the best way to learn is to have all students start together. Drop in classes are frustrating for both the student who starts later and needs to catch up and the original students who feel their time is being eaten into redoing known material.
- Videos showing a variety of dancers performing "belly dance" and folk styles from the Middle East, North America, and Australasia.
- Introduction to safe dancing practices - warm-ups, cool downs, stretches, and strengthening.
- The basic stance.
- Head, shoulder, belly and hip isolations.
- An introduction to a simple shimmy.
- Moving steps with a MED flavour.
- Simple combinations to try
- A chance to improvise
- An introduction to using the veil.
"Preparing the Body" looks at how to prepare your body for dance - the correct way to do a warm-up, how to decide what you need to stretch and the correct way to perform these stretches. Aspects of this are taught throughout the Introductory course.
"Costuming" looks at how a beginner's cabaret costume can be made. Examples of what works and what doesn't are shown.
Discount applies if the IntroPlus is paid for as a unit. Each of the extra classes may be taken independently for $10 each.
This course only runs if there is sufficient interest.
They mean I can teach from home and that keeps the cost down.
They mean students can get to know each other – in classes of over 20 some people feel quite isolated.
On the down side if the class numbers fall below four it is really not economic to take the classes. For this reason the course is paid in advance. If there are four students at the start of the course, the course will run for the full eight weeks. (However, if there are insufficient enrolments on the day the course may be cancelled or postponed).
Also, once the class is full it is full. Preference goes to those who have paid in full, next those who have paid a deposit, then those who have emailed/rung. To ensure you are saved a place, fill in the print form and post it with a holding deposit or send the email form to register your interest.A special class can sometimes be arranged for a group with similiar interests or problems.
More importantly, it means an incentive to attend every class. It can be very frustrating if too many classes are missed. This is the same as any other adult continuing education courses.
In recognition of this the individual class price is kept very low.
- You write the class off - as you would at any course run at a community college, or the polytech, or any of a number of other learning institutions
- You take a rain check - take the class in another course. Often there are two courses running in parallel. Other times you will have to wait until the next course runs that matches when you can attend.
- You arrange a special private. Cut-price private lessons can be arranged at a time to suit to cover class material.
Otherwise register your interest for a class. Once there are enough people interested for a course at a particular day & time you will be contacted. Payment will be required before the start of the first class.
If there are too many students on the day (yes, it has happened), preference goes first to those fully paid, then those who have paid a deposit, then those who have rung/emailed to confirm, and lastly to those who turn up on the day.Click for the latest prices Next Steps classes - or may repeat the Introductory class if they wish.
Do You Have Gift Vouchers?Gift vouchers are available.
Tempted? Register your belly dance interest now!If you have never tried belly dance - Beginner Signup
If you have some experience in belly dance - Other Signup
Beginner Belly Dance Class Questions
- What is Introduction to Belly Dance?
- How do I join a belly dance class?
- What is Belly Basics??
- What is Belly Delight?
- How much are the classes?
- General class related FAQs
- About Belly Dance
Have a question not covered here?Please feel free to submit a question
|Return to www.bellyraqs.co.nz
for those with a general interest in the dance
|Site Index||Return to www.raqs.co.nz
includes articles for the dedicated convert
© Copyright 2007-2014
Updated by JEWEL